Too often what I hear, see and experience as a customer but also as a coach for my clients is this bad habit that we often fall into. Especially as experts when we start to tell instead of sell or thinking that telling is selling. Here’s the thing, it is not the same. If you’re caught in the trap of telling your potential clients about the features and giving them a lot of information and you’re wondering why aren’t people saying yes.
Perhaps, right now, you are thinking about having these conversations with your potential customers, yet at the end of the conversation they are not asking you how they can buy, how to work with you or what’s the next step, chances are you are falling into the telling trap. Don’t beat yourself up because it is something we all fall into. It is totally normal. In this episode, I’m going to teach you how to avoid this trap and what you can do instead that is much, much more effective and genuine!
- We fall into this trap of telling because we are not confident, we want to prove ourselves and make sure that the potential client knows how much we know.
- When you start actively selling, the number one thing you need to do is to start asking the right questions.
- You should be doing very, very little telling, very, very little talking. Your role is to ask questions that will enable your potential customers to do the telling to you.
- The old outdated way of telling as a way of selling is simply not going to work. You’re not going to be able to read off a spec sheet and figure that your people are going to buy. [Tweet This]
- People are genuinely looking to connect with you. They want to be heard. They want to be understood. They want to know that they’re not alone and that you are the expert to help them find the solution that they’re seeking. [Tweet This]
- Your prospects will sell themselves because when you ask the right questions, they will have a realization that they do really need your help in the moment of answering. [Tweet This]
- Why it’s totally normal for all of us to end up telling instead of selling [02:54]
- Asking the right questions will allow your customers to sell themselves [07:10]
- How to demonstrate your skills, even when you are just starting out [08:47]
- How to help your potential client move closer towards the end outcome so they are already sold by the time they come to you [13:24]
- Why we often fall into the trap of telling and how to avoid it [15:49]
Send me your burning questions:
Send me your questions and I will profile you here on an upcoming show.
Find out more about me here:
Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/successfulsalesstrategies